CSC 3990: Computing Research Topics
Centered around the development of a research project in one of several selected computing topics. Experimentation, data collection, literature review. Standard for written presentation of information. Reports of progress required of all students.
- Students will critically read and synthesize research papers.
- Students will critically survey the literature on a research topic.
- Students will critically analyze existing solutions to a research problem.
- Students will write a literature survey on a computer science research topic.
- Students will demonstrate an ability to formulate research questions.
- Students will demonstrate an ability to find, retrieve and apply computer knowledge as needed.
- Students will successfully develop and write a research plan.
- Students will write a research proposal on an open computer science research problem.
- Students will produce regular progress reports on research project status.
- Students will demonstrate an ability to give good technical presentations.
- Students will produce a research proposal to an open computer science research problem, or a conference-style research paper that combines literature survey, experimental design and evaluation, and which will be submitted to a computer science conference.
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of research ethics and responsible conduct in research.