CSC 4510: Machine Learning
The nature of intelligence and the question of its computer implementation; the nature of learning and how it might be cast as an algorithm; the design of software systems that adapt to new circumstances in their environments.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the basic mechanics behind how neural networks, decision tree induction, logical-concept learning, and genetic algorithms operate.
- Adapt at least of the above algorithms to an application area of their choice.
- Ability to discuss the practical and ethical issues behind the use of the above learning approaches.
- Ability to read seminal machine learning papers with some dexterity.
- Students will conduct a 20-minute presentation on a Machine Learning topic.